Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Desk is Refubished, For the Most Part

My son needed a desk, and I didn't want to pay top dollar.  I also didn't want to go to IKEA where their furniture is significantly cheaper.  The last time I bought a desk there, it was truly the worst design and construction.  (I still like their Swedish, meatballs, however.)

A few weeks ago, I found this great little desk for $17.99 at Goodwill.  I snapped it up with visions of new paint swirling in my head.  




My son decided he wanted to paint the desk Utah Jazz colors.  After we bought three small cans of paint, he began to sand the desk.  He wore appropriate attire to paint his Utah Jazz desk.  


To my surprise, he also began the painting without me.  I was in the front yard pulling weeds.  So by the time I got to the back yard, he was half-way through.  Oh what to do?  An eleven year old paint job for sure.  Crafty women everywhere sensed that a upcycle project was in need.  Do I re-sand and start all over?  No way!  I let it go.  It is his desk.  It was only 17.99 plus paint.  And unpainted spots, drips, and all, it is a pretty awesome Utah Jazz desk.  One of a kind.  




Note the burnt orange outlet cover.  Burnt orange is for the University of Texas.  Is my son a sports fan, or what?

To finish off the project, we added a Utah Jazz sticker.  This is the best Utah Jazz desk ever.  





5 comments:

  1. Team furniture!!! Yes!!! I need one for the OKC Thunder!!!! Love it hon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really well done esp for an 11 year old! I'm sure the desk will be even better and more dear for him, knowing he painted it himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing - it's a great desk and he's done a smashing job, that must have given him a real buzz to work on that without you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just catching up on all the blog posts I missed, and I think this is great!!! Your young DIY-guy saved you a lot of work and you are both more proud of that desk than if you had done the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!