Sunday, March 24, 2013

Quilt at Auction

Several months ago I bought a flannel fabric quilt kit knowing that our church was having an auction to raise money for summer camps.  When did I start the quilt?  Monday.  When did I finish? Today. Saturday. Crazy!  I should have asked for the week off.  Who am I kidding?  I'm a public school teacher.  We never take days off!

Back to the quilt.  I love the colors and the supreme softness of the flannel. I quilted it by machine and did the binding by machine as well.



Here is my husband holding it up while I am telling him not to let me see his feet or fingers.


The only real problem I had with the quilt, besides putting myself under such a time constraint, is that the gray hounds-tooth flannel stretched when pressed or stitched.  I trimmed it down but some stretchiness still sneaked through to the final project.  See how the point didn't match at all on this corner?


  
Even though we are into spring,  I thought it a bit ironic that I was taking a photo of a flannel quilt with snow in the background.  



"What was the final auction price?" you may be wondering. My friend Malia bought it for $100.  Thank you, Malia.



Do you remember the sunflower cake from my last post?  It went for $25.




I purchased a few things myself at auction.  My daughter bid (and I paid) on a garden weeding service thinking that she wouldn't have to do it.  It was only two hours worth so she was a little disappointed.  I also purchased this beautiful coconut cake.  Can you believe a 13 year old decorated this?  The flowers are marshmallows.  It is lovely.



The auction was successful!  Have fun at summer camp.  And take a quilt.  It's going to be cold!


and
and
 and




11 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt -- so glad it sold for a great price! And I need a piece of that cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt looks so cozy and warm and made for a good cause too. Visiting from Let's Get Acquainted

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt looks really nice and cosy. Flannel does stretch a bit but don't worry...all the quilts that survive in museums are far from perfect they were meant to be used and enjoyed and that is the main thing!!Plus you raised money for a good cause!
    I know what you mean about spring and still having snow hanging around.Ours is not too deep but it is still out there and we are set to have a "white Easter"...ugh...summer never mind spring seems an awful long way off still!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt looks really cosy - we could do with here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt looks so cozy and soft and warm. You were very generous to donate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a warm looking quilt - perfect for a camper in the woods! I can't get over how neat the coconut cake looks. I think I may use that marshmallow flower thing on an Easter cake this weekend if I can tear myself away from my sewing machine long enough to execute it as well as the 13 year old did! We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabric, the designs and colours, what an auction gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors on the quilt. What a great auction item.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colours of the quilt and I bet it is so snuggly! Well done! (I am a teacher too, I know what you mean about not taking days off!!) Enjoy your summer break when it arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing. You can't even notice those corners when you look at the whole quilt. It looks so toasty warm and cosy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!