Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day With Mrs. Foster

Ahh, junior high school.  The years of awkward crushes on that cute kid who sits next to you in class.  The years of one social insecurity after another.  In junior high Valentine's Day can be a bear!  Especially when you wonder why your crush doesn't notice you and only seems to have eyes for the cheer leaders or student body officers.  But never fear junior high students, come to Mrs. Foster's class for some stress relief.


This year I brought a giant jar of candy kisses to school and told the kids that if they wanted to get a kiss, they had to give a kiss.  This was met with the expected reactions of "gross," and "Ew, that's disgusting!"  I put their fears aside and explained that a 'kiss' was a compliment and if they wanted a chocolate kiss, they had to give a compliment.  I can't tell you how many times I was told how fabulous I looked today, which was true of course, but the kids have never mentioned it before!


Here is the equation that greeted my students as they walked in.  It took them a while to get the Valentine's Day message in the answer. 

We listened to 80s love ballads as we worked, and my assistant tried to film me dancing to Wham.  I quit displaying my great dance moves before her filming commenced thus stopping her from posting to Facebook.  Call yourselves lucky my dear Facebook friends.

A student brought me these flowers. Sweet.




And here is Kissakiss Volcano made for me from the candy wrappers.  Not quite as good of a gift as the flowers but creative none the less. 

I guess Valentine's Day in junior high isn't so bad after all.

i <3 u

5 comments:

  1. My husband is a high school math teacher, and he liked your equation a lot! Sounds like you keep it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved having you as a teacher in junior high! Valentine's day was no picnic back then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea to celebrate valentine day with your class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that equation! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're the best teacher in the world. How nice for the kids to take the pressure off the holiday for a short while and have a little fun with it. I really love that you made a special math equation. Quite ingenius!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!