Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pajamas and Progress

The other morning son walked into the house after being picked up from a slumber party.  He was still in his pajamas.  I was shocked as I saw what he was wearing.  The bottoms were at least eight inches to short.  "You wore those?" I cried in horror! "No big deal, Mom.  They're just for sleeping."  Yes, it's a big deal.  I don't want to look like a bad mom, and after all, it is all about me, is it not?

Enter It's So Easy Simplicity A2052 pajama pattern.  


Now I probably could have taken the time to draft a pattern, but sometimes convenience it worth the $1.97 I spent on this pattern.  I even made it less time consuming by omitting the pocket, tie, and silly little button hole to put the elastic through.  I just left the casing partially opened for elastic insertion.  So now there were only two pattern pieces to deal with.  

Not only that, I stacked the two flannel prints on top of each other, cut, and surged away. The whole operation took less than two hours for two pairs of pajama bottoms.






My son wouldn't let me take a photo of his extraordinarily short pajamas that he was wearing before.  Party pooper.  It was pretty funny.

The only thing that I didn't like about this pattern was that it didn't mention that elastic was needed.  I assumed that the tie was threaded through the casing.  Luckily, I had some elastic on hand to do the job.  

In other sewing news, I would like to do a quick progress report on the jacket I have been working on.  I recently read of one blogger, Jane, who is making the same jacket describe her progress as "slogging away."  I feel as I am doing just that, slogging away.  (Unlike Katrina who whips up a tailored dress in 7 hours from start to finish.  Check it out on her blog.)

I set in the sleeves about three times to get rid of those pesky puckers.  In the end, having read everything there was on the subject of setting in sleeves, I settled for some very little puckers. 


I also learned how to make a sleeve head that goes inside the sleeve to give it some shape at the shoulders.  Here is mine hand basted into the sleeve before sewing.  Is is made out of muslin and interfacing.


The next time I post about this crazy jacket, it will be finished by gum!

Have a lovely week!

Linking with Plum and June via Better Off Thread and Salt Tree

6 comments:

  1. Love to see your jacket when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so now I'm adding to my list of 2013 Wanna-Do's. And that's "jams" for my SILs and DDs. Ha! These are gonna be so much funner than waiting for the PJs to go on clearance for 60% off. (Yes, I know: right now I only have ONE SIL... but...). Duh! Why, oh, why didn't I think of this? I will put the drawstring in though instead.

    Well, maybe.

    Set-in sleeves: So you sewed them in prior to sewing the side seams? Because there's an easy way: sew in the sleeves .before. sewing the side seams.

    But then you likely discovered that.

    THE JAMS ARE AWESOME, girl!

    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric for the Anise is so gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished jacket. You're in the home stretch now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this post! I love making PJs, they are really an instant gratification project. I totally sympathize with you on the set-in sleeves. I have been known to shave off bits of the sleeve cap in my frustration with those puckers! And creating a sleeve head, wow! When you're done with this, you will have an entire tailor's know-how at your disposal.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Cool idea for a post, and your Wholesale Pajamas choices echo your day-wear wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!