Saturday, February 2, 2013

McCalls 5523

It is wonderful to start a project and finish in a decent amount of time.  It motivates me to get busy on my harder, time consuming projects.  McCalls 5523 skirt pattern was such a project.  




The wool is a remnant from Yellow Bird Fabrics.  It is sooo soft and   easy to work with.  Because of the looser weave of this fabric, I chose to line it. 

I didn't make a muslin since skirts can be simply adjusted while sewing, and I could take it in easily.  But there was no need to tweak anything.  It fit right from the pattern.  When does that ever happen?

However, when I got dressed to take the photos, I put on, shhhhh, control-top pantyhose, and the skirt was too big in the waist.  Since I consider myself somewhat boxy in the waist, let me just say that again.  The skirt was too big in the waist.  My waist was what? Too small?  It's not often I can say that.  Indulge me. 



I used hem tape that I purchased from a fabulous yard sale last summer.  I love the way it looks.  





I also love the little flounce in the back.  



McCalls 5523: 5 out of 5 stars.



The sun was too bright today with too many shadows to take decent detailed pictures outside.  I'm not complaining.  This is the first weekend we've seen the sun in months!

12 comments:

  1. congratulations finishing a project. I love when that happens, doesn't matter how big or small the project is. Love the skirt. Will I see you in it tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern review! I do reviews at www.sewsnbows.com. I usually do kids patterns though. I'll be subscribing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I really like the colors in that wool fabric. The flounce came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the flouncy skirt. I keep looking for a great skirt pattern and I might just have to give that one a try. Great work! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the skirt and you're a great model :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, so your
    -- countenance is positive radiant!
    -- skirt turned out divinely!
    -- shoes are... in my closet by Friday?
    -- skinny waist makes me jealous!
    -- pooch is peachy!
    -- snow you can keep!
    -- post was wonderful! You've inspired me to share pictures of me wearing my finished products more often than I currently do. Which is... I'll list the dates below.

    Um...

    Oh, boy.
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK... I return to share this: Define your lovely figure (your waist, girl!) by adding a belt, please. C'mon! Go for it! You can do it! In a color to complement those shoes and make your skirt really pop... which is what your blouse does for those beautiful eyes!

    I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete

  8. You know you're a quilter when you sew a garment and use 1/4" seams.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely. The flounce adds a flare of fun and the wool looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking good, Foster! Love your shoes in particular!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an outfit, lovely job!!!! And the details on the skirt is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I really love that detail in the back. Did you end up taking it in in the waist ?It's very feminine and pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!