Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Grapefruit Olive Oil Pound Cake



Did you read that correctly?  Yes, grapefruit and olive oil.  This is from one of my favorite cookbooks that I have mentioned before, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.  


The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, US & Canadian Edition Cover

This was a fabulous recipe with the exception of the skills of the cook, me!  

The first problem I had was that the cake fell in the middle.  Sometimes this is the fault of the cook and sometimes the fault of the recipe.  Most cookbooks do not have recipes that are adjusted for high altitudes, and this may have been the problem.  I certainly wouldn't want to blame myself, because coming up, there is more to blame on me.

Before one makes and pours on the glaze, the cake is perforated and a grapefruit syrup is poured over it while it cools.  While making the glaze, I thought it might be a little too thick so I added extra grapefruit juice.  Now it was a little too thin!  You can even see the perforations marks in the photo. 

Before

I made half a recipe of the glaze with the correct ratios to fix my mistake.  


After


Overall, it was a delicious treat and everyone gobbled it down. 

4 and 1/2 out of 5 stars!

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that there are very few recipes with grapefruit! This looks like a good one. I have had olive oil cakes before and they are wonderful. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be delicious... Thanks so much for coming to party at Super Saturday Show & Tell :) I hope you’ll come again next week. xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!