Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dinner: The Bohemian, Movie: Lincoln

Last week my husband and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary.  Having been there before, we chose celebrate at the Bohemian Brewery in Midvale.  The restaurant is decorated like a German hunting lodge, and we were seated by the fire and the Christmas tree.



The appetizer a baked flatbread with feta and a sweet balsamic reduction.  It was served with hummus. It was fantastic and we looked forward to our meal.


   Unfortunately, our experience at the restaurant went down hill form there.  We waited.  The couple seated right before us ate their meal and left.  We waited.  A couple that was seated 10 minutes after us ate their meal and left.  The waitress came out and apologized and said our order was after a large group. However, we had already ordered long before that group was completely seated and long before their order was taken.  

We decided we would wait 5 more minutes before we left since we would be late for our movie.  Our our food came just in the nick of time.

I had the lamb chops with spaetzle. My husband had perogies and bratwurst. 

Was it delicious?  I don't know because I was too busy cramming it down my throat so  I wouldn't be late for the movie. I don't know about you, but I really don't enjoy going to an expensive restaurant and not taking the time to savor the meal.  This is so disappointing because I really enjoy this type of food, and I was looking forward to the spaetzle.  Instead all I can remember is the lamb appeared to be quite tender and the spaetzel was greasy. 

When we rushed out the door, there wasn't even anyone with whom to make a complaint.

The evening wasn't a total loss.  We were able to go see the movie Lincoln with Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field. 

Images from thelincolnmovie.com
President Lincoln

Mary Todd Lincoln

Senator Thaddeus Lincoln


William Seward

"This is a profoundly thought-provoking portrait of 16th president and his drive to end slavery and unite the country."
USA Today
Claudia Puig

Every American needs to see this movie. Not only are all the actors superb, but the dialogue is thought provoking and well written.  Except for the opening scene, all the action takes place through dialogue, and yet, even for our ever decreasing modern attention spans, the movie never was boring or slow.  It is a look into the lives of all the main players in a way we have never seen before.  The personal story of the president tugs at the heart and one is filled with respect as he succeeds in doing that which seems insurmountable. 


Sadly, I was embarrassed for the woman behind me during the scene where General Lee surrenders at Appomattox.  As he surrendered she said, "Who is that man on the horse?"  I'm shaking my head in bewilderment at her statement even now as I write.

Lincoln
5 out of 5 stars
Five Star Rating Clip Art

The Bohemian Brewery 
2.5 out of 5 stars only because I went there once before and loved it.  This time the service was so poor, the rating went down. 
2.5 Star Rating Clip Art

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm SOO with you regarding the negative dining experience......

    Can't wait to see Lincoln. When that will be? Um, who knows. Deeply enjoy historically-based movies.

    Speaking of which, Hubby and I watched a Hallmark last night that made us BOTH cry... I bawled! "The Lost Valentine" is on YouTube. We were watching Christmas movies and came upon TLV... I will be buying it on DVD!

    Merry Christmas. Glad you enjoyed your date overall! We need those now and again, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!
    I have been hearing so much about that movie, and I can hardly wait to see it. Glad to see another excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary.
    Shame about the restaurant but glad you had a lovely evening despite the service.
    Daniel Day Lewis' resemblance to Lincoln is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 21st Anniversary! I agree the movie is terrific, and an absolute must see.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!