Thursday, December 20, 2012

Anise Progress

The other night my friend Amanda and I were at a Christmas party together.  She said she'd been wondering what I've been working on because I hadn't posted any projects on my blog for a while.  "That's because it is taking me so dang long to finish it," I sullenly replied.  "Well, post your progress. I still would like to see what you are doing."  Okee dokee.  That sounds like a plan.  

(By the way here is my favorite post from Amada's blog. Don't mess with Amanda!)

Onward and upward on my Anise jacket progress. No, this darling photo is obviously not me but from the Colette Pattern Company.

I purchased this pattern months ago, and I am determined to finish it before I embark on any other projects.  Since this is my first jacket, I also bought the Anise Companion, a digital instruction booklet for help.

The companion booklet suggests dividing the project in to 8 days.  Sounds great.  A jacket in eight days.  No problem.  

Day One: Gather Supplies.  Completed over several days.

Day Two: Fitting.  Cut the muslin, baste, determine fitting changes if any, and alter.

Are you kidding in one day?  Not even close.


My first fitting problem was horizontal wrinkles across my lower back.  There were no instructions for that fitting issue in the Companion so I googled it.  It is called a broad back adjustment and the solution is to make the back one size bigger or more.  But since mine was only on the lower back, I just sewed the seam allowence smaller in that area.  It was great when I tried it on.  However, when I set the sleeves in, the horizontal wrinkles were now at the upper back, and it pulled across the bust.  No way was I going to do a large bust adjustment when everything was just one size too small.  So the solution, cut a bigger size all around. 

Day Three:  Cutting Underlining and Interfacing

No way.  In one day?  First of all with all the linings and interfacings, there are 30 pieces and that doesn't include the muslin that was previously cut.  

I had everything cut out in the course of several days.  I learned how to apply fusible weft interfacing by dampening a press cloth and using a hot iron to adhere it to the fabric.  Fusible weft isn't stiff so it stretches a bit and I had to be careful when pressing.  I used pattern weights to hold it still on both the pattern and the interfacing.




Once that was complete, I basted the underlining, a medium weight muslin, to the main fabric.



Over a month later (not three days like the pattern suggests), I am ready to sew the outer layer of the jacket together.  

To be fair, the month consisted of a few days here and there.  Sometimes I am a bit jealous of speedy sewists who seem to get projects done and posted on their blogs in an instant.  But then I remember that I actually enjoy the slow, relaxing process of finishing a project, and if I don't take it slow, I don't enjoy it and I make too many mistakes. Volume is not my goal.  Finishing a beautiful project is!

More progress posts to come.

4 comments:

  1. YAY! Thanks for referencing that post of mine. I'm so glad to see the progress you're making on your jacket and excited to see the continued progress you're making on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those sewing schedules must be written by people who have no other demands made on them - What's for dinner? Have you seen my this, that or the other? Is my this, that or the other in the wash? You know what I mean!
    Hobbies shouldn't be another source of stress and hassle, enjoy the process and I'm sure the jacket will be wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Progress! Great update. It's gonna be cute.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love your progress report. I would start on Step 1 and get distracted with other projects while I was waiting for various supplies to arrive in the mail. Then I would start on Step 2 and get discouraged with some fit problem and put the whole thing in the closet for a year! It's great to see other people's work in progress. BTW, your fabric is just amazingly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!