Thursday, December 27, 2012

Anise Progress Report #2

Today I am posting all about the thrilling enterprise of bound buttonholes.  

I have two instruction books. The one that came with the pattern and the electronic version that I purchased for extra help.  Unfortunately, the books don't follow the same order and I had to unpick some of my progress in order to begin the buttonholes.  

First, I had to trace a tiny little template onto my fabric 8 times for the button hole, 8 times for the binding, 4 times for the facing, and 4 times for the facing binding.  Let's not forget six times for my practice button holes.

Yes, I said practice.  Having never sewn these little babies before, I wasn't about to cut into my fabric without some practice.  


Here we go on the practice using leftover fabric from this project.  




Not too bad for a first try.  One little mistake on the side, but I never made the same mistake again.  

On to the real fabric.




Here is my first bound button hole on the jacket.  It actually worked and looks fairly decent.  



This is my favorite part.  The instructions suggested that the button holes  be basted together while working on the rest of the jacket.  I felt so professional and seamstress-y doing this.  



I then sewed the front to the back at the shoulder seams, and that is as far as I've gotten.  I've added photos of the inside of the jacket for those of you who like to see construction details.  I love the princess seam in the back.  





I need a break now!  Those darn bound buttonholes took me forever.  Much, much longer than suggested.  Here's hoping next time around will be faster!

By the way, "button holes" or "buttonholes"? What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. Girl! Bound buttonholes... You've gone where this woman's not gone before! They DID really turn out nicely... and you had so many! Whoa!

    Your fabric's divine, and I can't wait to see the finished lovely!

    *hugs*
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You amaze me. I struggled last week with regular button holes. Glad I have you near to help me if I get in a jam. Go Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job!!!! It's this type of detail that makes a project something to really be proud of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful buttons! I have never gotten the hang of this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - your bound button holes look amazing! I don't do regular button holes very well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rubbish with buttonholes, that looks fabulous, well done. Visiting from P&J Monday Link Up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice buttonholes! I have never heard of bound bh but they are a very nice detail to your jacket, can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!