Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

image photo : Dragon eye


I have never been a big fan of Stephen King.  Years ago I read one of his novels, Misery, and while I admit that the writing was excellent, the book was too intense for my liking. So I was surprised that this book was recommended to our book club. 

This book was published in 1987 and is unlike any of King's scary, gory  thrillers.  He wrote it for his 13 year old daughter who didn't like the scary stories. It is a tale about a make believe kingdom with princes, kings, queens, heroes and heroines, and an evil sorcerer.  





I very much enjoyed this book.  Again, King is an excellent writer.  I loved the warm narration as if we were sitting by a fire, and the narrator was telling me the story like we were old friends.  I developed compassion for the characters, even the ones who at first glance didn't deserve compassion.   King's writing elicited emotional responses from me as I read.  I certainly was aware that King could conjure up emotion in his readers.  After all, it was while reading Misery that I actually had a startle response, jumping clear out of my chair.  In The Eyes of the Dragon I cried when the two princes, brothers, were reunited.  

This is an older book, one I had neither heard of nor would have attributed to Stephen King, but it is a great read nonetheless. I'm sure his daughter loved it.

image photo : Blue dragon
dreamstime.com
Open Stock Illutrations and Photos

5 out of 5 stars.



2 comments:

  1. I had no idea! King is not exactly on my no-read list but it's more that there are so many other things to read that he's not a priority. How wonderful that he went out of his genre to write this special book. I will definitely look for this one. I wonder if he's written any other non-horror works?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last, a Stephen King book I'm brave enough to read!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!