Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Plum and June Blog Hop and Tutorial

After visiting many wonderful blogs on the Plum and June Blog Hop, it is my turn to introduce myself.


Plum and June



How long have you been quilting? Off and on since about 1998.  My husband actually suggested I might like it since I enjoyed sewing, and bought me a beginning quilting class for Christmas. I love all kinds of sewing, not just quilting.

Favorite quilting tip(s): Basting spray rocks.  Oh, don't spray it in your basement without proper ventilation.

Favorite blogging tip(s): Don't worry about stats--enjoy yourself.  And if you don't have time to promote your blog with Facebook or Twitter, no big deal. Enjoy your blog and don't stress over it.

Favorite fabric: Can't pick just one.

Favorite craft book: Sew What? Skirts.

Favorite book: Today it's The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munch.  Tomorrow It may be different.
       
Favorite quilting tool: Have I mentioned basting spray?
     
Binding - by hand or by machine? Machine.

If I'd only known - what you wish you knew about blogging before you started your blog:  I should have looked at more blogs to see what I liked before I jumped in the fray.

Here is my tutorial for curved strips. I turned my strips into a placemat but you can use this technique for just about any project.

 1. Measure a placemat that is the size you like and add one inch to the length.

2. Cut strips 5 inches by the length you chose.  Mine were 5 by 21 inches.

3. Overlap the fabrics by 3 inches, right sides facing you.




4. Make a curvy cut in the three-inch overlap being careful not to go to the edge of either fabric.



Note:  If you want bigger strips don't overlap as much.  However your curves won't be as wavy. Cut bigger strips if you want big strips and big waves.



5. Remove the left side of your top fabric and the right side of your bottom fabric. The other pieces are what you will sew together



6. Now put right sides together and match your top edges to begin to sew. It doesn't seem to match because your convex and your concave waves are now going opposite each other.  But don't worry, it will work.


7.  Don't pin your fabric together. Slowly begin sewing and moving the fabric to match as you go. Look forward only slightly farther than your presser foot.  Don't think about the rest.  The key here is to stitch a few slow stitches, pause, adjust, sew, pause adjust, sew.  


8. Finger press toward the darker fabric.  Press with an iron.


Note that the outer edges aren't straight.  This is ok. You will square everything up at the end.


9. Continue the pattern with the next strip of fabric.  Cut an stitch as many strips of fabric until you get to your desired width.


10.  Square up the uneven edges.

11. Baste, quilt, and bind as desired.  





Here are the two placemats I made.  One has seven strips and the other five strips.  I experimented with the widths and curvy cutting.  





The back of the placemat


You may wonder what to do with all of those other beautiful, curvy scraps.  I put mine together to make a hot pad.


Thanks to Beth at Plum and June for hosting this Blog Hop.  It has been a blast.

Don't forget to visit the other blogs featured this week.  I'm so glad to share my day with Amy from Sew Incredibly Crazy.  I love her blog and she's a school teacher to boot!

Oct 9
         Amy from Sew Incredibly Crazy
         
Oct 11
       Chrissie from madebyChrissieD
        Marit from Sew, love, live

25 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial - it might be my introduction to quilting!
    I'll enjoy hopping along to the other blogs too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to work with more curves, but am a pinner. I will try this method to see if I can lose my pins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your curvy placemats, great tutorial, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your placemat, but have yet mustard the courage to try a curve. I will have to give it a shot. It is too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great tutorial! I never done curves before, I will definitely give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to meet you, Foster! This is a great tutorial, thanks for the clear explanation and pictures! Also this project is adorable! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! This is something that I've been wanting to try-- maybe now I'll have the courage! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Foster! And great tutorial! I don't like to use pins either when I sew curves - though, it doesn't always work out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tutorial, I've not done curves yet so that's really useful. Good to get to know you better on the Blog Hop and hope you'll pop by to visit my blog made by ChrissieD this Thursday, 11 October when it's my turn (I've taken over the slot from Diane of Brasier House) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe that sewing curves thing works--it's like magic. I don't know of a specific project for it yet, but I want to try it just because my mind is so blown by it. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial. I need to try this curved piecing method...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Foster, nice to "meet" you! I love basting spray, too, but I think I use too much because a can doesn't last as long as the gal's in the quilt shop! Great tutorial - I have been wanting to try wavy seams! You make it look easy (and fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the curves! I'm always a bit nervous to try sewing curves but you make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to get to know a bit more about you - and I like the curves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet you! Great tutorial and I like the poinsettia print fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial.
    So nice to *meet* you.
    I am on the Hop on next week.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This makes it look *gasp* easy! Or at the very least, easier than I thought. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to learn a little bit more about you, Foster!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial, thanks for taking the time.. I learned something

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tutorial, well explained. Thanks. Over here from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Foster, I loved your tutorial! I have to make some place mats myself so I'll definitely try your curved piecing technique.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Foster, stopping by from the blog hop! Love your curved tutorial, I always find it amazing that they do go together! And love your outlook on enjoying sewing/creating and blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tutorial! It was nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely project. Seems like it would be easy to do, and brings a little interest to the table.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!