Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Pillow For My Sister





My sister's birthday was 1 week ago and I just finished her gift.  Not only that, I told her she couldn't have it until after my November quilt meeting's show-and-tell. Some sister I am, eh? So Elly, here is your gift.  I hope you like it in person after the first week in November.



I made the pillow from a fat-quarter collection of yellow and gray fabrics from Connecting Threads and a pattern from Quilt Etc.'s previous Block-of-the-Month.  

Notice that I obviously did not use all of the fabric from the collection.  That means there is more to play with!


Before deciding on the ruffle, I bought a yellow pom-pom trim.  Just after the clerk cut it she said, "This reminds me of the Dee's clown."  You locals my age or older know what she was talking about.  So I bought the yellow pom-pom trim knowing I would never use it.  Darn clerk.  The fabric ruffles are cuter anyway.  





Dee's Hamburger Clown.  Grrrr.

State St at Winchester St, 1979 (CountyLemonade) Tags: sign restaurant utah clown hamburgers direction saltlakecity shield interstate 1970s murray statestreet dees fashionplacemall i215 winchesterst deesrestaurant 6400south
Taken in 1979 in Murray on State Street. 29 cent Hamburgers!


Happy Birthday, Sister!

10 comments:

  1. Foster,
    It is absolutely gorgeous! I love the soft yellow with the grey. I am sure your sister will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pillow! I love the yellow & gray color combo! Awesome pillow!!! I'd love for you to share this and any other crafts at my linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

    T'onna
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-3-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be willing to wait for it! It's a beautiful pillow, I'm sure she'll love it stopping by from wildly original linky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pillow, your sister will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pillow! The quilting perfectly compliments those cute log cabins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two of my favorite colors together. Yellow and gray. You sis will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful - it turned out great. I'm sure your sister will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! Lisa, you did not have time to make that!I just can't believe that you did that. It will look gorgeous on my sofa. But no one can touch it!!!! Wow. Coolest present ever. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, that pillow is beautiful! You have one lucky sister! Also, that picture of Dee's sure took me back! I grew up just a block east of Fashion Place Mall and it was a real treat to get to go to Dee's for a burger! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors and design of this pillow. Lucky sister!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!