Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Following Atticus by Tom Ryan

I was in the Cloverleaf Campground of Cache National Forest when I finished Following Atticus by Tom Ryan.  Inspired, I put down the book, grabbed the leash and my pound dog, Kit, and headed for the North Fork hiking trail.

fosterreveiwsit.blogspot.com

I loved this book from the start.  I am a dog person and an outdoor person so it was a perfect fit.  This is the true story of hard-nosed journalist Tom Ryan's unlikely friendship with a miniature schnauzer he named Atticus M. Finch.  Together they attempt to climb the forty-eight 4000 footers in the White Mountains of New Hampshire.  Twice.  In one winter.  

This beautifully written book is not only humorous but heart warming at the same time.  It chronicles Tom's change of heart, his relationship with his father, and Atticus and Tom's adventures together.  Tom and Atticus are not what you picture as hiking material.  Tom is a self-described, overweight muckraker, and Atticus is anything but a dog bred to be in the mountains.  But together, they work it out, as Atti's breeder frequently counsels them, and it makes for a charming and inspiring true story.

Two or so hours after this book was finished, my dog Kit and I returned to our campsite from our hike.  Since my husband's recent disabling condition, he can't hike any trails that have a remote slope, which is nearly all mountainous hikes.  I haven't hiked much in the past few years because I don't want to go alone.  Reading this book made me realize I am not alone when I have my dog.  Now I won't do any major hikes alone like some crazy Utahns do and then have to be rescued days later, but I can proceed on sensible trails with my buddy, Kit.


Tuckered out after two hikes in one day.




 North Fork Trail




I loved this book so much, I now am a follower of Tom's blog,  The Adventures of Tom and Atticus.  In the midst of all my sewing and quilty blogs, I now have one about a dog, a muckraker, and the mountains of New Hampshire.  



5 comments:

  1. New follower! I love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely images. Surrounded by beauty. And great friends to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dog you have! Thanks for the book review, I'll have to keep an eye out for this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reviewed the audio edition of Following Atticus for the Audie Awards -- I gave it top marks. Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!