Sunday, September 16, 2012

Block of the Month On Time, Almost

I am always amazed at the creativity I see when the Block of the Month finishes for the year at Quilt Etc.  This past year our theme was Blocks from Japan.  The first woman who stood up to show her finished quilt had appliqued cherry branches embellished with flower shaped mother-of-pearl buttons in the center of all her blocks.  Show off.

All jealousy aside, at least I am one step ahead of last year. Last year I finished a whole month late.  You can take a look at my project here.  This year, I got part of it done because I decided to do pillow shams.  





I got one sham done.  See, better than last year.  Maybe two will be done by next month. 


I figured out how to add braid to the sham.  



I watched a YouTube on how to twist the ends together. The lady on the video made it look so easy. I didn't quite get the gist of it. But it is unnoticeable where the ends join unless I point it out. Which I obviously do in the following photo.


I used fabric from my stash that I don't really like for the back of the quilted part of the sham.  It will never show so I'm glad I could use it.



Straight machine quilting  one inch apart.



The best parts about the September Block of the Month meeting are  first, seeing all the beautiful quilts.  I am awed by the talent it takes to create those works of art. Second, specific quilting supplies go on sale like pins that you can sew over and good quality thread.  Oh, I am a geek if I get excited about pins and thread.  But it's Aurifil and Presencia! On sale! Who wouldn't be excited?



I thoroughly loved the blue color this past year and the more modern look of the blocks. This coming year is a Western theme.  Cowboys, the Southwest, cacti, boots, and the like.  It's not really my style but I'll give it a go and next year may see a full project completed on time.

9 comments:

  1. Goodness! The results are spectacular. So talented. Perfection with a capital perf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Kelley, your sham is spectacular!! Always love blue and white together.

    blessings, jill
    visiting from plum and june

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt blocks, I love those blues. I never realized there was a way to braid the trim together like that. I've always tucked the two ends into the seam and tried to keep that part of the pillow on the "bottom." I really must try this new way, you make it look so nice and neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work. The precision of quilting never fails to impress me.

    Love the Japanese theme (one of my fascinations) but scope for some fun with Western ideas. Maybe go the whole hog and do Alexander Henry kitsch - I'm sure I've seen a bare chested cowboys print!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! Love all the blue fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blue and whites together! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pillow sham!! Just love it. That braid just really sets it off beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!