Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Super Duper Fabric Finds

It was like any other normal Saturday.  Mr. Fosterreviewsit and I were running errands, and I saw a sign posted on a light post.  "Fabric Yard Sale."  Mr. Fosterreviewsit would rather jab his eyes with ice picks than go to a fabric store or even worse, a fabric yard sale.  So when we got home I roused my daughter from sleep and told her to get dressed quick. We had some shopping to do!

There was so much fabric to rummage through.  Here are our lovely finds. These are some beautiful woolens in my favorite wine tones. About 9 yards.  The pale fabric is pink.


Lining fabrics. 


My daughter loved these cottons.


Cream brocade.


We bought yards of trim.  Note how old the green hem tape is. There are yards and yards of white lace.



Look at this pack of knitting needles.  I don't even knit...yet.  More on that in a future post.  There are at least 15 pairs of needles from size 1 to 11.  


How much did almost 20 yards of fabric, multiple packages of trim, and all those knitting needles set me back?  $42.00!  That is great considering that a good woolen will be somewhere in the full price range of $15 to $30 per yard.

The woman I purchased these goodies from said that the fabric and notions were her mother's who passed away in November.  She had already taken half the stash of fabric for herself.  She thought this would be a good way to share the joy that her mother had sewing and spread it to other seamstresses who share the same love.  That was a beautiful sentiment. 

As we were leaving the woman yelled to me, "I found some more woolens!"  I didn't go back. It was tempting and such a great price, but if I'm not careful, my children some day will have to have a fabric yard sale for me!  







14 comments:

  1. I giggled aloud at your husband-comment about fabric shopping!

    And your concluding comment, ain't it the truth! I'm in "Use the Stash" mode. Yeah, right. We'll see how long that lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just popped over from the Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts! What a bargain you got, love those cottons...wish someone in my town would have a clear out like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with silverblackbird - wish a sale like this would appear near me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! I got the backing fabric for the last quilt I finished at a yard sale, as well, though I think you got a much better deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, knitting is my first love. You should take it up! It's lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab find! Popped in from Lily's quilts, to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yowzer! That's quite a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yard sales are my favorite way to buy fabric. It's a bargain, yes, but I'm so sentimental about people's unfinished craft and sewing projects and their supplies. I have a whole stash of thread, over 150 spools, in every color of the rainbow picked up from yard sales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeesh, I posted all about me, me, me. In other words, great find, and have fun with your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to control myself where fabric shopping is concerned! I know how it can be!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful fabric finds...looking to see some wonderful makes now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm kinda drooling over all those knitting needles! Good purchase. And thanks SO MUCH for linking to Really Random Thursday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Foster...your post made my daughter and I laugh with the comment about your husband. She wanted me to read it to her 3 times! These are some seriously envious finds - it must have been hard for that lady to clear her mum's stash - as it will be when my mum passes. I am keen to see how you fare with learning knitting. I have tried, and crocheting, but I find I am TOO TENSE to get a consistent tension and all the rows or blocks turn out different sizes. I have discovered that embroidery can be more forgiving though. Thank you for linking up this Sunday, nice to have a new blog to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great buys you got and so sweet of the lady to share!
    Shawn@studio57artz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!