Sunday, August 12, 2012

Fitting Pants: Vogue 1003


V1003


Last year I made my first and only (so far) pair of jeans.  They fit o.k., but I wanted to improve my pants fitting skills.  So I took a class from Sunni at Yellow Bird Fabrics on how to fit pants. Sunni has a darling blog called A Fashionable Stitch.

We took our measurements, and using Vogue 1003, the pants fitting shell, we began to make adjustments to the pattern according to our numbers.  We did initial cuts to the pattern and then used it to make a muslin.  Once we tried on the muslin, we made additional corrections to our pattern shell.  

Here is what my muslin looked like (inside out) and the final adjustments to my pattern.  



After trying on the muslin we determined that I needed 1/2 inch more in the waist.  We made a second waist slash of 1/8 inch (times four fabric pieces) to accommodate this. We also took up the length in the crotch, added an inner thigh enlargement and lengthened the leg.  



When we were all finished with the adjustments, Sunni showed us how to use the fitting shell when we buy other patterns.  All and all an extremely informative class.  

Speaking of pants patterns, Vogue 2532 has been on the back burner for a year.  I thought they would make professional work trousers.

V2532

Of course that is after I finish my retro inspired teacher outfit.  The blouse is almost done.


And I still have to bind my quilt.  Oh yes, and I have to begin the Starlet Jacket.  And school is starting soon.  And I've been a little distracted about teaching myself to crochet.

So the pants may still be on the back burner. Whether I get to the pants in the near future or not, Sunni's class still gets five stars!

6 comments:

  1. very impressed with your trouser/pants perfecting intentions.I am sure that after all of that hard work they will fit beautifully!I need some more trousers for the autumn but have not been brave enough to tackle jeans yet!
    Love the retro teacher outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only tried trousers once and they didn't fit me at all. I was lazy and didn't make a muslin so not surprising, it really is the only way. I'll be checking out that link.

    Always good to have several projects to pick from I think. Have fun with the crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very nice! I followed you and I just started a blog, it's dutch. But you could use translate of course. Following would mean alot to me! (I have a blog hop atm)
    http://likearolemodel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great class! We have a severe shortage of those here.
    I did a full month of pants-making earlier this year. Granted, it was all on my own, so there were many, MANY muslins, and a lot of twisting around to look in the mirror! All in all it was a success, with three workable patterns finally fitted (out of five tested). It was kind of an ordeal, especially by the end, but it was worth it because now I don't have to worry about patterns any more. I just pick whether I want a wide leg, a narrow leg, or a jean style and go with my TNT.
    Now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed the class! The pants look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg! I'm so scared of alterations!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!