Monday, July 2, 2012

Favorite Strawberry Jam

I have a lovely strawberry patch this year.  The birds and the bugs have left it alone.  Why, I don't know, because I don't spray insecticide on my garden.  Even though I don't get a large gross of berries in my small patch, I have had the best yield ever.





I wanted to preserve these luscious berries, but many of the recipes  out there call for enough fruit for a dozen or more pints. That is why I turned to The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard.   This book is great when a person doesn't have a giant garden but they still would love to make delicious jams, jellies, chutneys, mustards, etc.



I granted permission by the publisher to include the recipe in the this post, so without further ado, here is the legal stuff...

Used with permission from The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to use Year-Roundby Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard (Firefly Books, 2007, $19.95 paperback).

And now the fun stuff, the recipe.

4 cups (1 L) halved or quartered firm strawberries (depending on size)  
2 cups (500 ml) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (50 ml) lemon juice.

1. Mix berries and sugar and let stand for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. Place berry mixture in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Add lemon juice, return and boil rapidly for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 24 hours.
3. Bring berries to a full boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.
4. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.  

(At this point in the recipe the authors direct you to another section of the book that gives the steps for water bath processing.  I won't type all information, but there are many sources to refer to for safe water bath processing.  Because of the high altitude in which I live, I added 20 minutes of processing to my jam.)

Makes 2 1/2 cups (625 ml)

This recipe was easy, did not require pectin and only used about half the sugar of freezer jam.  I doubled the amount of strawberries from 4 cups to 8.  


Eight cups of berries

Berries resting in the sugar.




The color of this jam is gorgeous.  It is such a deep purple, more like a raspberry or blackberry.  Not only is it gorgeous, it is delicious.  

Favorite Strawberry Jam on homemade bread machine bread.

Out of the double recipe I made exactly 7 half-pints.  We opened the first jar yesterday and it is almost all gone.  

You can by the book here at Amazon.com.

This recipe gets 5 out of 5 stars for ease and yummy deliciousness.

Linking with 
http://salttree.net/

Our Delightful Home

Current LINKY theme!

5 comments:

  1. That jam look so good! Your strawberries put mine to shame .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummie, looks delicious! I was just looking for a jam recipe, so thanks for sharing! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make my mouth water! I love strawberry jam! Yesterday i ate my first strawberry out of my garden. it is winter here right now and they normally only get ripe around September, but one made it already and was delicious.
    thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment on my no-sew skirt. got me to visit you. i like it here and am following you now with gfc. would be lovely if you would like to follow back, but no hard feelings if not :-)
    have a great day
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats fresh garden strawberries - except maybe that jam! Looks delicious. I'll check that book out, thanks for the tip off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extra thanks, you're on my Lovely Blog list today.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!