Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I used to belong to one of those cookbook clubs where every month the company sends a catalog and the customer decides whether to accept or decline the monthly selection.  The customer can also choose an alternate selection.  Because of this, I have a cookbook collection that is too big.  Is there such thing as too big? I enjoy reading cookbooks as much as I do making recipes from them.  


When I returned from California on Saturday, my rhubarb and strawberries were ready to harvest.  So I got out a cookbook I had never used, only looked at, Bubby's Homemade Pies.  Mmm, mmm. There are some great recipes in this book, my friends, but of course, I had to make Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.  Mmmm.  Summer pies!



The recipe appears to be a very standard recipe using a pastry for double crust pie.  I used an all butter pastry pie dough for my crust, but a butter and shortening crust will work as well.


The pie was delicious and well received.  The crust was fabulous, if I do say so myself.  

I do have two complaints. The first is my fault.  I can never tell when my rhubarb is ripe.  It never really gets that beautiful raspberry color.  Some varieties of rhubarb don't.  Consequently, sometimes the stalks I pick are old.  You can tell because they appear stringy and porous.  

Second, the pie was runny.  This is often a complaint of rhubarb pie makers.  But I used to have a recipe from a friend in Alaska who used a little raspberry gelatin in her pies and there was absolutely no dripping, slipping, or sliding!   I've lost that recipe, darn it.

Overall, this recipe gets 4 out of 5 stars.  I won't dock a star because my rhubarb wasn't the best.


Here are some photos of what ripe rhubarb looks like!

gurneys.com

Starapple Edible Gardens




Strawberry Rhubarb: This doesn't ripen into a dark color as other varieties do.
The Cook's Thesaurus


Linking up with Salt Tree Open Call Tuesday.




2 comments:

  1. I have some rhubarb ready to pick - thanks for the prod!
    My favourite way to cook rhubarb is in ginger beer with a little crystalised ginger chopped in - delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snippa, I wish you'd share that recipe or the source. I love ginger, and it's so good for you. BTY, I had some of Foster's pie. Delicious! But I'm her Mom :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!