Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Simplicity 3956 View A

In March I posted about Simplicity 3956 View C.  I began:


"Sometimes I spend hours sewing a piece of clothing only to find that I don't like it very much and never end up wearing it.  This was not the case with Simplicity 3956."  


I love this blouse.  I wear it frequently.  So of course, I wanted to make another with different sleeves.  





I don't know what happened this second go 'round, but Foster ain't too happy. 


It started with this darling red and white polyester floral.  Cute print, no?  But even with pattern weights and pins, the second layer of fabric shifted causing 2 very strange cuts of the same pattern piece.  





I ran back to the fabric store to see if they still had some of this print and luckily, or maybe unluckily, they did.  So I cut out a few new pieces.  Even without layering the fabric and careful placement of the fabric and pattern, the outcome wasn't exact.  


I sewed away and tried it on.  My daughter said, "Mom, there isn't much room for a zipper." How could that be?   The other blouse I made fits with room to spare. This is the same pattern. The same size. Oh yeah, wonky pattern pieces.  I sewed the zipper with very little seam allowance. And, phew, it fits.  Well, sort of. I'll get to that in a minute.  


I don't dislike everything about this blouse.  I spent a long time fitting the bust, as I had some trouble with that the last time I made this pattern.  I modified the bust by sewing down the crossover layer to make it secure.  I'm pleased with that outcome.





From the front it is pretty cute.  So the blouse isn't a total loss.  I find this high-waisted style flattering if I do say so myself.  






But what the heck is this bump in the zipper at the waistline? Can anyone explain my mistake there? The fit in the back is just out of whack! 





Darn, I was hopping to make this blouse for the Summer Spark Sew-Along.  Maybe I still will.  I'm going to wear this, dang it, and hide that bump with a sash.  After all, I had to buy all that extra fabric. Everyone can just look at me from the front!


With the sash!







The fabric, a Hancock's print, gets one out of five stars only because the print is cute and I like red.  

The pattern, Simplicity 3956, gets 4 out of 5 stars.  It looses a star because the zipper instructions are confusing.  Luckily I can set in a zipper without instructions.




Linking to:
Tales of a Trophy Wife

Summer Party Theme at I Gotta Create!

5 comments:

  1. Aw! What a bummer! I hate when I work so hard on a project and it doesn't turn out. :( Glad you are able to make it work with the sash, though. By the way, I love your sense of humor... great read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the short sleeves. Zippers aren't my favorite. I've struggled w/ polyester fabrics too. The just seem to stretch and get all wonky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these tops, they are really great. Thanks for your good wishes for my Dad. K. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you have had difficulties too with this pattern as I know it is so frustrating.I have had so many disasters these past few months that I feel like giving up and have hardly sewn a thing recently.I also have sewn something and the first time out everything goes well so you think it would be great to make another only to have a major disaster on your hands...why is that..over confidence perhaps?The fabric looks very pretty though and the whole top looks nice and summery so I shouldn't worry too much.Nil Desperandum!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks good. I love the print. I havent sewn clothes in so long I don't have any explanations for the bump. Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!