Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Scrappy Springtime Quilt Part One

Just recently my mother-in-law generously gave me half her quilting  fabric stash.  The other half went to my sister-in-law.  We are two very lucky and happy women.


In my stash there were dozens of cream colored or tan fabrics.  Some were in large cuts.  Now I am not one that usually goes for tan hues in my fabrics, but I didn't want to waste fabric, especially free fabric.  I needed to find a project that would make me happy with my cream colored wind fall.  


order a signed copy of my book!I remembered a quilt that was done by Amadajean at Crazy Mom Quilts.  She calls her quilt the Oatmeal Quilt and used all her creams to make it.  She used the "slab technique" that she outlines in her book, Sunday Morning Quilts.


I have the book, by the way, and the quilts are simply lovely.


I decided to use my creams with a pop of color somewhere in the middle of the block.  I though this could be representative of the colors of spring, like crocuses popping up out of the brown earth. 


I browsed the slab technique, which is quite easy, and got started cutting, sewing, and fitting scraps into the design.


Part of the planning stage.

Pulling it all together.

All the scraps from trimming extra-long edges.

I love sewing quilt blocks this way.  It takes some thought to put it together, but since no block is the same, it never gets boring. Since nothing has to be totally perfect, and points and seams don't need to match, it was a very peaceful and calming to complete this quilt top.

I say quilt top, because I still haven't finished started the back yet. I want to take a break and do another project, and then I will get back to this one.  

Here is the finished quilt top.


This is the quilt I am going to take a nap with when winter is driving me nuts. I will then be reminded that spring will soon arrive.  (I really don't like winter.) I actually laid under it with my feet pointing straight up to make sure it was long enough to cover me from my chin to the bottom of my heels. That is why this picture on the hammock is so appropriate for my new napping quilt.




This fruit fabric is one of my favorites.  There are several fabrics in here that have been in my stash for over 10 years and who knows how long they've been in my mother-in-law's stash.  

Back, quilting and binding to come.  


Linking with Freshly Pieced,  I Gotta Create and Plum and June


Grab a button:
Current LINKY theme!

Plum and June

15 comments:

  1. What a great gift to receive especially when it produced something that is going to be so useful.Cutting out and making up quilt tops is enjoyable whereas doing the quilting is satisfying I find.The soft cream colours lend the top a vintage feel and it will be a great winter warmer too! I hate winter too and have started to think about keeping warm then too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be a fabulous napping quilt. I inherited my mom's fabric stash. I love using it and remembering all of her wonderful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be awesome to pass the quilt on. What a treasured gift that would be.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have great respect for someone who can quilt. You have created a true heirloom. I love the red pinwheels!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! So beautiful! It will be a big comfort come winter.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and so much work Foster. It seems to take forver to make a quilt. I must try one sometime. I love the pinwheel thingies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty improvisational quilt and I love the meaning attached to your color choices, the image of flowers popping up in the spring dirt. Saw your link on Plum and June.

    ReplyDelete
  8. working with neutrals is such fun and love the splash of colour you've added :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its a lovely quilt and can picture it this late winter. thanks for joining the blog hop, I want to join some bloggers and share this stage in blogging to learn somethings, and also some quilting since I am new at that too.. Would you be willing to take a look at my blog?? Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt! I love the pops of color. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely, cosy napping quilt that is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt, I love the neutrals and pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job! I like how you've mixed more traditional blocks with improvised ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt and that you used all those neutrals with bits of colour added in. You created a wonderment with the gift you recieved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat quilt. I love the subdued colors and the pops of color in other spots. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!