Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shopping Cart Cover and Some Gorgeous Parties

Do you remember that yellow baby hat I made for my niece a few months ago? Well, it actually didn't make it to my niece.  My husband went to Washington DC, and I told him he should take the hat as a gift for friends there who had just had a little girl.  After all, I had plenty of time to make another!  Then last Saturday I got the invitation to my niece's  baby shower for this Saturday.  No problem.


No problem that is until I stopped by the fabric shop last Saturday night and found a shopping cart cover kit by Whimzie Designs.  My mind had been changed.


Monday: Stop by the fabric store again to find high loft batting. They are out.
Tuesday: Try a different fabric store.  OK. Good. They have it.
Wednesday.  Iron and the fabric and notice it is dirty.  Maybe a little dusty from sitting on the shelf.  The directions say, "Do not pre-wash the fabric."  To heck with that, I'm not giving my niece something that is dirty.
Thursday: Lay out the high loft batting and immediately decide I don't like how it doesn't lay flat.  Begin sewing.
Friday: Continue sewing.  Notice that I don't have the right color of embroidery thread to tack the fabric to the binding.This is taking longer than I thought. I use hand quilting thread instead.


Tacking it together with quilting thread.
Saturday (today) 12:45 a.m.  I'd better go to bed...only a little left.




Saturday: 7:20 a.m. Finished!  Yay! Shower and go take pics for the blog.




Notice how the shopping cart seat belt threads through extra large button holes.




It's reversable!





Even though the project took longer than expected (it always does), it was an easy cover to put together.  I still don't like high loft batting, however. Maybe I got a terrible brand.


Since this morning when I got some crazy looks from people as I was taking photos of the shopping cart in the parking lot, I have been to two wonderful parties.  I am always amazed at the talent of the women I come in contact with.  My other niece (not the baby shower niece) had a Mother's Day brunch a week late for her grandmothers and aunts, that's me, and girl cousins. Here is a sampling of the beautiful handmade decorations and delicious food.




Look at the pink striped straws a the top of the plates.  Darling touch.



Love the paper flowers.


My sister made the food.  We had lemon ricotta waffles with sauteed apples, cheese and spinach strata, blueberry muffins, and fruit.  My sister is such a fantastic cook!  She got her recipes from Smitten Kitchen.  




As if I hadn't had enough to eat a my sister's, I left there and drove to the baby shower.  They served a myriad of dips, pulled pork, lovely fruit, veggies, shrimp, cream puffs, and these macaroons to die for.  Even though the picture is not the best, I still have to show you the macaroons.









I love to see other people's handiwork and there were some lovely examples of it today at the shower.



These were little cloth diapers wound tightly with baby socks for hats and washcloths for clothes.


A beautiful afghan.



These darling crocheted items were made by Aunt Debbie.  She has her own Etsy shop, Perfectly Sassy, in case you are interested.  And who wouldn't be interested in that fabulous flip flop for baby?  How cute is that?

My niece received other adorable homemade gifts, but I just didn't get good shots to post.

What amazing, and talented women I have been blessed to spend my day with.  5 out of 5 stars for a wonderful, creative day! 

And finally, look at this amazing cake my daughter's friend made for her birthday last week.  Like I said, I'm surrounded by talent!




Linking up with:

and
Our DelightfulHome


6 comments:

  1. The cart cover is very cute. Nice job! And the food is making me hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a talent-packed post... beginning with your own awesome baby shower gift! That is a super-nice, practical gift you made, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself oohing and aahing with each new picture. First, you have some mad sewing skills! That shopping cart cover turned out perfect. The fabric is darling. I wish I would have had one of those. Beautiful job. Then, I can't believe all the homemade gifts your niece received...wow! And, I can totally relate to projects taking longer than expected, that seems to be how my life goes at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cart cover! Looks very comfy for the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable crafts! I made a shopping cart cover a couple months ago and mine also turned out to be a little more complicated than I thought. I decided to add extra padding because my son is pretty small, but now the thing is SO big that it doesn't fit in my bag!

    Also really love those little cloth diapers with the hats! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work! I would love for you to link up at my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/05/live-show-me-what-you-got-linky-party_21.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!