Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Are you ready for another young adult novel where the female protagonist has two love interests?  Are you ready for another trilogy that, if made into a movie, will have two movies for the final book?  And, if you think the cover of this book is enticing, then this book is for you! (The dress is gorgeous.)


This book, written by local author Brodi Ashton,  is a modern take on the Persephone myth.  The book is set in Park City, Utah so it was easy for me to envision the beautiful surroundings.


While I am getting somewhat tired of the mystical story in a modern setting idea, and tired of the "girl with two boys who love her" plot, I can't fault Ashton for writing what sells to young adults these days. 


Brodi Ashton  

To give the book some credit, there were items I liked about it. Nikki has been taken to the Everneath for 6 months where Cole feeds off her emotions until she is nearly empty. But the memory of her boyfriend from the surface, Jack, keeps her alive.  Nikki only has six more months to live on the surface before the Everneath Tunnels come after her for good.  She can avoid this by going with Cole and become an Everliving like he is.  Now to the part I liked.  Nikki was no wimpy girl.  She chose to return to the surface wasted and emotionally weak, not only for Jack, but for her family.  She wanted to make things right after her abrupt departure.  Unlike other young adult novels, Nikki knows that Cole is the bad guy and doesn't fall for him.  She stays true to the good guy, Jack.  And he really is a great guy.


Have you ever seen this comparison?  I know it has nothing to do with this story, but boy I'm tired of the wimpy, whiny Bella types, so I felt this sums it up for Nikki too.



Here is the super confession of Foster.  Near the end of the book, when the Tunnels come for Nikki, I cried.  Yes, I said it, am embarrassed to admit it,  and that is all I am going to say about the emotion I felt.  

This is an easy read and middle school girls will love it.  There is no overt lusty teenager garbage, just a few kisses and holding hands. It does not have a great deal of action like Hunger Games, (it was a little slow in the middle), but maybe that is to come in later books.  Yes, there are plot flaws such as why no one really questions where Nikki's been for 6 months, but overall, the story is enjoyable.  I won't rush to read the sequels when they are released, but I will eventually get to them.  

3.5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, it sounds like an interesting book, might have to read it! Thanks for your visit and nice comments!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!