Sunday, April 8, 2012

McCall's 6074


My daughter has taken after me and loves to sew.  Yay!  She is just a beginner so McCall's 6074 was an easy pattern to make.  The envelope says it is a one hour pattern.  Not for a beginner.  And not if you decide to line the dress.  She chose to make the maxi version on the left, shown here in blue.

We had to make a few changes.  Using the sizing guide on the back we chose the larger version and thought we could take in as necessary.  Besides, there is a little piece of elastic in the front to pull everything together.  As is turns out, it was still too small in the chest so we opened it up to where the elastic should have been, redesigned the neck line, and skipped the elastic.  She wore a cami to make up for the opening.  


She added a belt and this is the way it looks in the back.

She did a pretty great job, if I do say so myself.  

This patterns gets my recommendation for ease.   It would have been easier if we didn't have to change the neck line, but that was our fault for not making a muslin.  Sometimes you just want to get sewing, but pattern sizing is not always reliable and is not specialized for individuals.  We were even thinking that with different fabric it would make a great prom dress. So we  she will be making this one again.  (OK, I'll help.  I can't stop myself anyway.)


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter on making such a lovely dress...hopefully this will be the first of many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..I am so impressed! So wonderful to have your daughter share the same hobby with you. I love sewing but I am a late bloomer. By the time I started to get serious with sewing, my mom was already very sick. Now that she is gone I am more determined to carry on this passion of hers. Thank you for sharing her project, it is excellent!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter has done a very nice job! Love the fabric choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dress.
    I enjoy sewing with my daughter too - next year she starts a Fashion, Clothing and Textiles study at art college, looking forward to her teaching me some sewing tricks!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!