Monday, March 12, 2012

Simplicity 3956

Sometimes I spend hours sewing a piece of clothing only to find that I don't like it very much and never end up wearing it.  This was not the case with Simplicity 3956.



I chose view C which is modeled on the left.  This is intended to have a contrasting underskirt and tie.  But when I got the fabric home, it just didn't work with the fabric I chose for the overskirt. You can see that it is a waffle print and the color didn't blend.  That's what happens when you go to the fabric store without your matching swatch.

Luckily, I had plenty of fabric that I had originally chosen for another project.  I change my mind frequently when I sew. 


Speaking of changing my mind, after I chose the trim, I decided I didn't like it, so back to a different fabric store I went.  You should have seen me sitting on the floor for 20 minutes with several selections of trim in front of me.  I finally chose the lace on the right, which I thought looked more "hippyish" and went better with the somewhat 70s look of the fabric and pattern.  


The pattern was easy to put together even with a lining.  The overskirt was intended to be cut on the bias which I originally did not do, but found that cutting on the bias did make it a little more flouncy.

I loved the result.  The breeze is picking up the skirt so it is hard to see how flouncy it is.


Look at these cool sleeves.  


I made one mistake.  The waist did not come together in the back at the zipper evenly .


Since I didn't use a contrasting fabric for the waist tie, you can't really tell.

I had to unpick and pull the bodice down into the waistband in order to avoid gaping in the front.  Other than that, I didn't do sizing modifications.  Although if I make this again, I'm going to cut a smaller size and I won't sew the band to the waist.  I'll just make a separate tie.  

The best part of this shirt? I got compliments on it all day.  And the fabric was smooth and soft next to my skin.  And I loved the  sleeves.  They were flowy.  Flowy isn't even a word but it describes the sleeves well.  After wearing long, tight, sweater sleeves all winter, this was a joy.

I give this pattern 5 out of 5 stars for its simplicity, darling style, and the fact I got complements! 


The sleeve from the back! Fabulous!




9 comments:

  1. This is so cute, Lisa! Will you make me one? ;) I am impressed and I envy your ambition! I used to love to sew when I was in jr. high and high school. Believe it or not, I was super skinny and tall for how much I weighed and I always had a hard time finding clothes that fit. Sewing kind of solved that problem until I was in the later high school years and it wasn't "cool" to make your own clothes. I would like to take it up again, if I ever get some time. This top is really adorable! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice top that suits you so well.I love the fabric and the lace that you used for the trim.Which variation are you going to make next then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course it doesn't hurt that you are a BEAUTIFUL woman either!
    I haven't made clothes for myself in years and years, mainly because
    I would make it then not like it.....maybe time to rethink that :0).

    Nice job, Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fabulous job with the sewing. It looks beautiful on you and I like your choice of fabric. This kimono top is really unique and the sleeves are very pretty! Well done!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, love your shirt! No wonder you got compliments all day - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!