Sunday, February 26, 2012

Homemade Granola

A few weeks ago I took a class on making granola and yogurt.  Last week I tried out the granola and it turned out great.  My friend, Gail, who taught the granola portion of the class, said I could share the recipe.  I haven't tried the yogurt yet, but my sample in class was delicious and I will eventually get to making the yogurt.


Here is the tasty recipe.  

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees

4 cups of oats
1 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Combine.  Spread out on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes.  Take out and stir.  Put back in the oven for 10 more minutes.  Remove.  Stir and cool.



 When Gail had us taste a sample, her granola was very soft.  I cooked mine for three 12 minute sessions stirring in between each session, and it turned out too crunchy.  A little less cooking is the sweet spot.



There are a million variations to this recipe.  For example, I added macadamias and pecans instead of almonds. I also threw in some craisins. 

This is a delicious recipe and your family will enjoy it.  But what ever you do, don't figure out the fat and calories like my friend Andy did.  He even figured the nutritional information using less oil.  Thanks for spoiling the joy, Andy!  Just know it is probably better to sprinkle just a few tablespoons on your homemade yogurt than eat a whole bowl for breakfast.  





Linky: igottacreate.blogspot.com





3 comments:

  1. The granola really is delicious! I intend to make a batch as well, even though I will have to eat it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this!! my kids love granola bars, esp to pack in their lunches...but they are expensive!! This would be a whole lot cheaper!!
    I am your newest follower...pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I love granola. Thanks so much for linking up!
    igottacreate.blogspot.com
    "Kiss Me I'm Irish" linky party now open

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!