Monday, February 20, 2012

The Fleece Crinkle Quilt Or Find a Creative Name For Your Project When a Mistake is Made

My friend Amber is having a baby.  She has three boys and is going to have a girl.  This is reason to celebrate.  So when my local Cotton Shop had a sale on quilt kits, I snapped up a cute flannel and minky kit in pink and brown.  The colors were so trendy and darling.  "This will be easy to put together," I thought.  Never assume something will be easy.  


The quilt called for ten 6-inch strips that ran the width of the fabric. These appeared cut and ready to go.  However, the strips ranged from 5.5 to 6.5 inches.  I had to trim nearly every piece.  




Once the quilt was put together, I went to the store to buy minky for the back and binding.  The minky was very expensive even on sale, but the fleece flat folds were on sale.  So I picked up the fleece.  Ahhhh, my second mistake.

I tried to stipple the quilt, but really struggled with the friction caused by the fleece.  Looping and loose upper thread tension was the result so I unpicked before I got too far along.

I decided just to do a straight stitch diamond pattern on the back.  Due to the stretchiness ofo the fleece, I got several puckers in the back of the quilt.  

But before I berate myself for this mistake, I'm just going to give it a name so it appears that the back is supposed to be this way. "The Crinkle Fleece Quilt" or the "Pucker Fleece Quilt."  I could even lay the fleece down with wrinkles on purpose and make lots of puckers.  It might look really cute.  See, I've invented an new style of quilting.  

After having spent two days longer on this quilt than planned, I simply sewed the binding on by machine.  Some of the edges came out after washing.  Ooops.



In the end, the baby quilt turned out quite pretty.  Washing and drying the quilt with dryer sheets made it extra soft and snuggly.  I won't tell the recipient all my mistakes.  It still is a warm and comfortable quilt.  I just hope she doesn't read this blog before the baby shower!



It is all good in the end.

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet baby shower gift! I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't sew with fleece before. Definitely sounds daunting. This made such a cute quilt, though. Thanks for sharing your finish and your process :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out just darling! I had some similar struggles with the baby quilt I've been working on. Worth all the headaches in the end, though. She'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks good! love the colors and the simple design. sewing with minky scares the daylights out of me. i won't do it, LOL!

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I have several quilts I should just put the word pucker in the title. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!