Saturday, January 28, 2012

Meringue Skirt: My New Wearable Muslin


Several months ago I bought the Colete Sewing Handbook from Colette Patterns.  I put it aside wondering if I would ever get to them.  But thanks to Rhinestones and Telephones and Miss Crayola Creepy who are hosting a sew along for all the patterns in the book, I had my motivation to get started.

I have to say that I wasn't patient (no surprise there) and I didn't make a muslin so I could fit my pattern better.  Nor did I trace the pattern onto interfacing first in order to preserve the pattern.  For shame, for shame!

What I did do was trace the pattern directly onto the fabric with wax free tracing paper and a tracing wheel.

I loved doing it this way.  I still have the pattern intact and the cutting lines are neatly on the fabric without the pattern getting in the way.

I also finally invested in pinking shears.  They were on sale plus I had an additional 15% off.  One of my goals this year is to have the inside of my sewn garments finish better and this really does the trick.  Especially since I am a little afraid of my serger.  I unpick my seams frequently and a little mistake with a sewing machine often means disaster on the serger.



See how nicely that finished?

Here is what else I didn't do.  I didn't lay out the fabric the way the book suggested. I have another goal this year to use up some of my fabric stash if possible.  My husband doesn't believe this goal.  But I proved him wrong as I used this yellow quilting fabric I bought on sale last summer.  I also bought it in pink--it was on sale! I wanted the ovals to appear vertical not horizontal so I laid it out the other direction.  This actually saved my about a half a yard of fabric.  I also lengthened it about four inches because the original is pretty short and who wants to see my forty something knees, and when I sit down, let's just not go there.
jade-meringue
Original Pattern Length
My Length

The skirt went together easily and I liked how nicely it finished on the inside! 

The scallops weren't difficult, but I wish I had seen this tutorial by Poppykettle first.

I also thought these were the easiest invisible zipper instructions I'd ever come across.  Do you see the zipper?  Nope! It's invisible.

It was a little big around the waist even though I made the correct size based on the measurements.  And since I didn't make a muslin first to know it would be too big, I will just wear it lower on my hips, and know that next time I need to cut a smaller waist size and immediately grade out to the larger size for my tummy.  Since there will be a next time, this is my muslin which I will wear!



Love the pattern, love the book, and I will continue with the sew along!






8 comments:

  1. Oooh, pinking shears! I'd love to eventually get a pair of these. I actually prefer the length of your skirt - I found the original length to be a bit odd on my frame, and would have either lengthened or shortened it had I stuck with the original! I'm still putting the final touches on mine, hopefully I'll get it done by today so I can take some picture. Thanks for the reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I love your cheery fabric and the length is terrific! Well done on the scallops, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on that zipper and your scallops are perfect! If you can handle those two tricky things you have no reason to fear your serger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous!! I don't have the Colette book yet but did get the Burdastyle book from my hubby for christmas - also totally recommended!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done I like how the skirt turned out, the scalloped hem is beautiful! Thanks for following, following back!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt looks so good! I wish I had made mine longer like yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Foster, I think your skirt is adorable. I love the scalloped hem. Excellent job. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt looks wonderful with its bright and breezy pattern.very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!