Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Beatles Quilt from Dare to be Square Quilting

When I go to the library for my kids, I always have to check out a few quilting books.  I try to get some books that are not really my style so I picked up Dare to Be Square Quilting by Boo Davis. 



betterworldbooks.com


This is a book that is perfect for beginners and for the rest of us who are tired of half-square triangles and curved seams.  Some of the projects I could see myself completing, but most of the quilts pictured reminded me of a late 70's or early 80's mod style, and I didn't like those as much. Speaking of mod, this book has it's own YouTube.  How cool is that?




The quilt I chose to do was Chatterbox out of Beatles fabric as a gift for  my teen aged son on Christmas.  Yes, I can post a million pictures of his quilt on my blog because what teen aged child would ever lower themselves to look at their ultra-unhip mother's blog? 



The instructions were clear and uncomplicated.  The quilt went together so easily.  I backed it with minky fabric and didn't use batting.  The only complaint I have is not with the book, but with the minky.  This is the first time I've quilted with minky, and while quilting, the dark blue color of the minky came up through the front of the quilt.  Also, the Beatles fabric didn't appear to be of the highest quality.  





Nevertheless, the quilt was enjoyable and simple to complete.  I loved looking through the book, and because the book had a project  that I was actually inspire to complete, I give it 4 out of 5 stars.  



2 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt. I bet it's really cozy with the minky back. Thanks for posting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at your son avoiding your blog! I hope he liked the quilt, though.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!