Friday, November 18, 2011

YellowBird Fabric Shop and My Cool Vintage Patterns

I lead a secret life.  I suppose it is not so secret anymore now that I've blogged about it.  Secret or not, I love vintage fashions.  And I love looking for cool vintage patterns on Ebay or at vintage shops. I have discovered that there is a whole breed of people out there like me who hunt down and  preserve patterns and actually make vintage clothing.  I just haven't gotten around to the making part.


Here are the cool patterns I've acquired over the past little while.  


1930s


1950/60s


1950s


1940s
The Ebay seller put this one in an acid-free protective sleeve.


1960s
This is the pattern I will start with first.  I'm going to trace the original on to pattern paper and then put it all back in a nifty acid-free sleeve.  You would think that JoAnn's would have pattern tracing paper in that big behemoth of a store.  But no, I was disappointed in JoAnn's once again. I had to order it on-line.  I also didn't find a mid to heavy weight knit or wool there to use for this dress. Not surprising.  Can you tell I'm not a fan of JoAnn's?   

On the other hand I did find the darling, hip, little fabric shop in Salt Lake, called YellowBird Fabrics.  I loved everything about this shop, the classes offered, the exquisite high-quality fabrics, the hipster owner, and of course, the retro patterns.  Prices were high so I will really have to want/need the fabric to buy.  I guess that is what you pay for quality which is something JoAnn's doesn't have.  Did I mention I don't like the anxiety causing shopping experience of JoAnn's?  YellowBird was so much more pleasant.  

Patterns: 5 out of 5 stars.
JoAnn's 1 out of 5 stars.
YellowBird Fabrics 4.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Me too! My favorite guilty pleasure is perusing the Vintage Pattern wares on eBay and Etsy and there is nothing better than having bought some and finally receiving them in the mail! How exciting. I too am not a fan of Joann's I am completely underwhelmed by their Fashion Fabric offerings, everything is polyester. There is only one other fabric store in my area and it is pretty good but I mainly buy all my fabrics online now and I have recently discovered the awesomeness that is buying vintage fabric on Etsy...my latest guilty pleasure looking for vintage fabrics. I use Swedish interfacing to copy my patterns after I have altered them and am happy with the fit I find it preserves better than plain tracing paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came out recently too! For years I had thought I was crazy with my passion for vintage needlecrafts, it's nice being crazy with other like minded souls. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!