Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Dodo Restaurant and Epic Casual Dining

The previous two weekends have found me at two local restaurants. I always try to go local before any of the franchise fare.  My husband and I went to The Dodo for his work's once a month "try a new restaurant" get together.  




The Dodo is located in Sugarhouse on 1355 East. and 2100 South. Their menu had a large variety of choices from sandwiches to the the fancier specials of salmon or staek.  Prices for dinners ranged from the low teens to low twenties.  



My husband got the Coconut Thai Chicken and I got the Portabella  Ravioli in Creamy tomato sauce.  The sauce had just enough cream, to make a perfectly delicious addition to the ravioli without being overbearing.  My husband couldn't say enough about his dinner.  Everyone in our party had positive things to say about the quality of the food.  The service was excellent and the waiter handled our partly of twelve with ease. The key lime pie is reputed to be the best outside the South.  I didn't have any as I was too full, but it sure looked gorgeous!  

image
                                        (Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) The Dodo Restaurant's Key Lime Pie.


The decor was simple, modern and elegant. When we left the restaurant, the lobby area was packed with people waiting to get a seat. This contributed to the loud atmosphere, which is the only complaint I have.  I guess when the delicious food attracts that many people, it is going to be loud.  4.5 out of 5 stars.

Epic Casual Dining is located in Midvale, on 707 East, Fort Union Blvd.  My husband and I had a Groupon to use before November was up so we gave it a shot.

We ordered the crab cakes and the grilled artichokes for appetizers.  Both were quite tasty, and the sauce on the crab cakes was tangy and the best part of the appetizer.  

For our main courses I ordered the risotto with smokey bacon, mascarpone,  and portabella mushroom, and my husband ordered the sausage fettucine.  My risotto was good albeit on the salty side. I guess when you order something with bacon in it that's what you get.  My husband's fettucine was disappointing.  The tomato sauce was too sweet and it taste like something I could throw together at home on a busy week night, not something to spend fourteen dollars on. 

Prices ranged from the low teens to low twenties.  The decor was pleasant and warm with rich, dark wood on the walls. Although, I was very chilly throughout the meal. 3 out of 5 stars. My husband says that is too generous and would give it about 2.5 stars.

If I am going to spend about the same amount of money, I would choose The Dodo over Epic any day. 






jofid

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!