Friday, November 25, 2011

Do It Yourself Pattern Weights

Pattern weights are a good way of securing your pattern to the fabric especially if you are worried about pin marks in either.  I wanted some of my own and found they were about $11.99 for a set of four.  Knowing that I would need more than four, I decided to make some of my own. Off to the hardware store I went to find some oversized washers. 

The largest washers in the bin seemed too small and weren't hefty enough even when doubled up.  Lukily, I found a box of assorted hex nuts, flat washers and lock washers (I had no idea what a lock washer was before this experiment). 


These will be much prettier once they are covered with a scrap of fabric!

First, I measured the washer and added about a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Doubling the length and adding for seam allowance and a flap gave me a resulting measurement of  3 inches by 6 inches.  I found the result to be a little short so if you would like to do this cut a piece 3 by 6.5.


Fold up the raw edges of the short ends 1/4 in.  Finger press. No need to be super accurate.



Place the washer on the fabric. Fold the fabric to cover the washer.  The length of the excess will be your flap. Measure or eyeball the ammount of excess.



Unfold the fabric, then fold the amount of excess to make the flap so that right sides are facing each other.  Finger press.  You will have more that the photo shows if you cut your fabric 3 by 6.5.

 Fold your fabric in half right sides together.  Pin, catching the flap.  Stitch a 1/4 inch seam on both sides.



Clip corners.  Turn right side out.



Slip two washers inside your envelope.  



Turn flap out. You are done with the washers. 



The hex nut was a little different.  I measured the circumference, devided in half and decided to cut my fabric 2.5 by 6.5.  Follow the same instructions as above but your folds will be about 1/3 of the fabric each for the front, back and flap.



Place both the hex nut and the lock washer in the envelope. Turn the flap out.



I didn't love the way this turned out for me.  I couldn't get the hardware to lay nicely in the fabric pouch.  So I resorted to the cutting a 5.5 by 5.5 swatch of fabric and tying the hardware inside. Much easier and just as cute and functional.



Of course you could lay out your pattern with plain old hardware. 


But this looks much prettier.  Don't you think?



As soon as I finished my weights I discovered several blogs that talk about how to make pattern weights.  Some used beans, pennies, etc. Some even published on this very day!  But I had fun figuring out my own way.

The total financial outlay for the hardware and scraps of fabric?  $4.67 plus tax for six weights as opposed to 11.99 plus tax for only four weights and not nearly the delightful, creative experience. 

Since this is Foster Reviews It, I better review myself and give myself 5 out of 5 stars for knocking more than 50% off the price!

I will also be posting this on Sew Country Chick's Saturday Sew and Tell.  (See the button on the right.)




7 comments:

  1. Very cute! I like to put felt circles on the bottom to keep them from moving around on the pattern paper. Your fabric looks like it may stay put on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use big washers too. Some of the other pattern weight projects are too hard! Your is cute and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, I will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very clever. Visiting from Sew Country Chick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT way to dress them up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your useful info, will visit again..

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!