Sunday, September 25, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children


It has taken me a couple of days to digest this book and to decide if I really liked it or not. All I have decided is that it was o.k. and slightly overrated.  

The book is written from a 16 year-old boy's point of view.  Jacob is struggling with the death of his grandfather.  He was close to his grandfather and had fond memories of the unusual and unbelievable stories from his grandfather's childhood. No one believes Jacob saw a hideous monster run away from the scene of the murder.  The story continues with Jacob discovering that the outlandish tales of his grandfather were indeed true.

While reading this book, I found myself skipping paragraphs to move the plot along.  The climax of the book is exciting, but on the lengthy side, and despite the length of the climax, the book seemed to end abruptly.  This is the problem of most young adult novels these days.  Instead of writing a book that can stand alone, books are written to be a series.  I guess we can blame Harry Potter for that one!

I did enjoy the antique photos strewn throughout the book, and the explanation of how the author acquired the photos.  

I'm giving the book 3 out of 5 stars because despite the above mentioned flaws, my attention was kept long enough to finish the book.  I liked the premise and enjoyed the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!