Friday, August 26, 2011

Skoy Cloth and Dryer Ball From Get N' Green


This summer while visiting Bozeman Montana, I came across a great store on Main Street called Get N' Green.com.  The store was filled with earth friendly and sustainable products for your home. My children and I had a blast looking around, and the kids thought the pads of paper made out of panda poop were hilarious.  The store had a huge section of waste free lunch products so that you aren't throwing away baggies every day.  I opted not to buy these as there are several patterns on-line to make your own reusable baggies.  Just do a Google search and more free patterns will pop up than you ever need.  Have I made them yet? No.

I did buy two products.  The SKOY cloth is a super absorbent cloth made from wood pulp.  Each four pack is said to be the equivalent of 60 rolls of paper towels!  What sold me on them, however, was that the owner of the store, Gregg McMan, told me that it wouldn't have a sour sponge smell.  And you could compost it, and it would break down in your composter within 5 weeks.  Sold!

Does it work?  It absorbed all the rain from off the picnic tablecloth in two swipes.  It did get smelly though, but the instructions said to either wash it in the dishwasher, washer, or put it in the microwave for two minutes.  Voila, all three methods work. The smell stays away for weeks on end.  

I also bought a ball of wool yarn that you throw in your dryer to eliminate static and to make clothes soft.  This eliminates the use of dryer sheets.  After I bought it, I wondered why I had spent six dollars on a ball of yarn.  I could make these myself if I could figure out how to get them to not unravel.  Would I make them?  Probably not. See the above comment about reusable lunch bags. 

This little item worked.  My clothes were soft and there was no static.  Unfortunately, my clothes, although clean, did not smell as fresh as when I used dryer sheets. So I've been environmentally unfriendly and have gone back to the dryer sheets.

Skoy cloth: 5 out of 5 stars-way better than a germy sponge.  (I still use a paper towel to dry apples. Shhhhh.)
Dryer ball: 3 out of 5 stars--works but is too pricey and doesn't add a nice scent.  
Get N Green 113 East Main Street, Bozeman, MT: 5 out of 5 stars. Great forward thinking, environmentally friendly, shop with great customer service.  Plus you can shop on line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!