Monday, August 1, 2011

The Good and the Bad of Eating Out on Vacation.

The good part about visiting Hebgen Lake each summer is that I have a place to stay where I can prepare my own meals.  This is a bonus since the dining options in West Yellowstone are limited.  However, just as if I were at home, it is a nice break to go out every once and a while.  


The Canyon Street Grill is a darling diner decorated in fifties style with bright red vinyl seats.  The walls are covered in pop culture memorabilia from that era.  The food, well, not so hot. My sister and I thought we would get something light and slightly more healthy than the deep fried options.  We chose a cup of chili and a side salad. The salad was from a bag with a teeny tiny sliver of tomato, and the chili from a can!  I could have done that at home for about 7 dollars less.  Talk about lack of flavor.  The kids, however, liked their selections.  My kids got fish and chips.  Of course they liked it---deep fried.  My niece ordered the Wolfman Jack Burger which she loved and which did look delicious.  I would give this restaurant one star for my food selection, but because the decor is cute and the kids liked their meals, I will give it 3 out of 5 stars. 


One of the best parts about West Yellowstone is Eagle's Store. There is an old style soda fountain that I have been visiting since I was a kid.

Huckleberry shakes were the order of the day, but I got the chocolate sundae with homemade chocolate sauce.  The shakes were delicious, but the chocolate sauce is not to be beaten. It is thin and not gloppy like Hershey's, and it packs a flavorful punch.  The kid behind the counter was friendly and visited with us about the life of the locals when it is no longer tourist season.  For delicious treats, good service, and sentimental value, I give Eagle's Store soda fountain 5 out of 5 stars.  

Nothing says Mexican Food like West Yellowstone, Montana, right? Wrong.  So I was surprised when my cousin recommended the Mexican Food bus down the street from Eagle's.  


The restaurant is called "Mexican Food" as far as I can since that is the only sign near the bus.  I ordered the Pastor Enchiladas.  They were deliciously spicy and saucy.  By far the best of our family's order were the Enchiladas Verdes.  I loved the tangy flavor of the tomatillo verde sauce. I saw one woman eating a fajita style dish with corn tortillas which are, in my opinion, better and more flavorful than flour. I was pleasantly surprised by delicious flavor of the Mexican food in Montana! 4 out of 5 stars.  Cash or check only, no debit or credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!