Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cowboys Vs. Aliens


Everyone likes a good cowboy movie.  Everyone likes a good alien movie.  What a cool premise.  Cowboys saving the world from the technically advanced aliens.  So why didn't I love this movie?

There were just too many plot flaws, conveniences, and unanswered questions.  For example, why did the aliens need to move that paddle boat 500 miles from the nearest water?  And why did the aliens fight so well in the blinding sunlight when they weren't supposed to see well in daylight?  And how convenient was it for Jake, the main character, to have an alien weapon?  I can't fail to mention the "good alien" all decked out like a 2011 model in 1875 western dress who told the humans how to destroy the bad aliens.  Convenient.

So I didn't have a willful suspension of disbelief.  But if I did, I would say that Harison Ford and Daniel Craig were fantastic as the cattle baron and the outlaw.  It did have those touchy feely good moments when the outlaws, Indians, and cowboys came together to defeat their common enemy.  There were some humorous lines that kept me entertained. By far the best part of the movie was the cinematography and spectacular scenery.  Overall, the action was good and I wasn't bored.  I just can't think about it too much. 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!