Monday, August 29, 2011

Burpee XL Pro Tomato Cage

In February, when it seems like I can stand winter no longer, a bright ray of spring enters my mailbox in the form of the Burpee catalog.  This year, because I was tired of those flimsy tomato cages from Lowes and Home Depot, and because I was I didn't want to spend 36 dollars for an extra sturdy cage at Western Gardens in Sandy, I bought the XL Pro Series (sounds like a car not a tomato cage) on sale from Burpee for about 35 dollars for three cages.  






That may seem like quite a bit of money for three cages.  But I tell you, I was tired of the other cages falling over with the weight of the tomatoes.  Even when I doubled them up!  Now really, you don't have to be an engineer to know that a narrow base and a wider top is not that strong.  That's why the box store brand of tomato cage doesn't work.  


The Burpee brand comes shipped flat.  Once out of the box it opens up to 18 inches on each side and it is 58 inches tall! My tomatoes grew like bushes this year even when I trimmed them back.  The best part besides eating a fresh tomato out of the garden? The cages did not budge, bend, or fall over!  So very cool.  I take pleasure in the little things. Next year I am ordering three more with the extenders. Now I can't wait for February! 5 out of 5 stars.


Enjoy pictures from my garden. 



Tall tomatoes!






Before


After



1 comment:

  1. These DO sound good! Careful, though. The extenders apparently have cheap plastic snaps that don't hold up to a breeze. :D

    ReplyDelete

Love your comments!