Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Western National Parks' Lodges Cookbook

I love cookbooks.  I have an extensive collection of  various cookbooks from annuals to group publicaions, form the unusual to the traditional, and from the international to local.  I don't even make the recipes out of all of them.  I just like to look at the photos and read the recipes.  Recently, I came across a beautiful book, Western National Parks' Lodges Cookbook by Kathleen Bryant at the Bookworm in West Yellowstone.   


This is a gorgeous book.  Even if you don't like to cook, the history of the national parks is presented beautifully in word and photography.  I found the information on "parkitecture" fascinating, and the scenery spectacular.  


But what about the recipes?  My ambitious 14 year old daughter tried out two last night.  When she told me she was making "Grilled Pear Salad with Cambozola Cheese, Toasted Walnuts, and Balsamic Glaze", I didn't even know what Cambozola was. Apparently it is a German Blue Cheese that sells for $23 a pound. Since I can in no way taste the subtle differences between cheeses, I opted for the cheaper American blue cheese.  The salad was fantastic and delicious. 


She also prepared "Orange Pecan Trout" which was easier to prepare than the pear salad.  For her anyway.  I was the one who deboned the trout that my son caught on Hebgen Lake in to nice manageable fillets.  Cut of their heads too.  Not easy. My daughter owes me one! The trout turned out delicious as well.  


Beautiful photography, fascinating history and lodge architecture, and delicious recipes to boot.  5 out of 5 stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love your comments!